When using a record or source that is new to you, here are some things to think about to make the best use of it:
- What time period does the record cover?
- What was the purpose of the record?
- How did someone or something “get in” the record?
- How were the records originally organized and stored?
- If there is an index, is it a full-name index?
- Are there terms in the record that I don’t understand?
There are other questions to ask about the record as you analyze the information it contains, but the answers to these questions will hopefully make your search easier.