If your landowning ancestor has no probate, consider the following:
- the land was sold before the death–check land records
- the land was transferred after the death by the family without court action–check land records
- there was a partition suit–check non-probate court land records
- nothing was done until the surviving spouse died–check land records
- there was no land–check property tax records to confirm this
Genealogy Tip of the Day is proudly sponsored by GenealogyBank. Try their “GenealogyBank Search” and see what discoveries you make.