Two Sons Named John


Immigrants may “translate” their first names after they settle in the United States–or any country where the language is different. Names may be officially changed when naturalizing or unofficially after settling in a new area. In some cases names that were different in the old country (Jann and Johann in the case of the couple in the illustration both used John) may no longer be different.