AncestryDNA‘s sale (through 20 August 2018) is a good time to remind about some things to be aware of when doing any DNA test:
- this is a autosomal test–to work all lines, not just the paternal or the maternal. Know what type of test you are taking.
- don’t just wait for the results to arrive thinking that they’ll solve all your genealogy problems–they won’t. Read our suggestions for what to do while waiting for your results to arrive.
- other submitters will have no trees tied to their DNA results
- some submitters will have no idea about their ancestry
- some submitters will never respond to your request for information
- some matches will be difficult or impossible to figure out
- DNA won’t solve all your problems
- DNA may alter your genealogical reality.
- Once you get back to your 5th great-grandparents, there is a possible chance (4.95%) you have none of their DNA. That chance increases as your extend your pedigree further back (see chart here).