Some things to remember about DNA tests:
- have your tree as complete as you can–evaluate connections that were mere guesses or hunches;
- work on finding descendants of aunts/uncles as far down as you can while waiting for results–this helps with sorting out matches–it’s ok if you can’t figure them all out to the current generation;
- not every match will respond–people take DNA tests for different reasons and some may be surprised enough about their results that they don’t respond to inquiries.;
- remember that DNA won’t solve every genealogical problem;
- use any automatic sorting or predicted ancestor names by AncestryDNA as a potential clue–these predicted ancestors are based partially on trees submitted by other users which are not necessarily correct;
- you may find close relatives you did not know you had.
Help support Genealogy Tip of the Day by visiting any of the following sites:
- Try a GenealogyBank Genealogy Search to see what you find.
- AncestryDNA offers.
- Books on Michael’s Genealogy Shelf
- My webinars