“The courthouse was burned” is one of those phrases that causes a significant amount of genealogical swearing. When you hear this phrase, remember to ask:
- Did the entire courthouse burn?
- Were all offices in the same location?
- Were any records salvaged?
- Were some documents “restored?”
- Were residents asked to bring any originals in to be recorded again?
- Would newspapers hold some of the missing information?
- Are there federal records that would provide the same information?
- Have I asked locals knowledgeable about the local records what materials might be available?