- Google search for “countyname county directory.” Use name of the state if county name is common. You will get things besides directories.
- GoogleBooks search for “countyname county directory.” Use name of the state if county name is common. Can also search for names. Not always able to download entire book.
- Archive.org–same search ideas as for GoogleBooks. Can download entire book as PDF or alternate formats.
- Hathitrust.org–same search ideas as for GoogleBooks. Not always able to download entire book.
- Library websites in the town and county in which they town was located may either have digital images of directories or links to sites that do have these images. Google searches for “townname public library” should help locate these libraries’ websites.
- Ask the researchers with interest in the same county for suggestions. Facebook groups for genealogy in the county and state are a good place to start if other approaches are unsuccessful.
Check out Genealogy Tip of the Day book version for other tips and questions you should ask yourself about your research.