Your relative answered a question for the census, death certificate, etc. Before you think they were simply dreaming up an answer, consider the other possibilities:
- did they understand the question?
- did they speak the language?
- were they even really listening?
- were they hard of hearing?
- were they lying?
- had someone else lied to them?
There are many reasons why a piece of information may be wrong. Be open to other possibilities besides your first conclusion.
Check out GenealogyBank‘s offer for our fans, followers, and subscribers.