The reality is that there is no trick or instant solution to genealogical research problems. However, generally speaking the following approaches are helpful:
- citing your sources;
- learning as much as you can about all the records in the area;
- learning the history of the area;
- having contemporary maps;
- obtaining as many records as possible;
- using compiled sources (published genealogy books, online trees, etc. ) as stepping stones to original records;
- realizing assumptions may not be true;
- continuing to learn about genealogical research in general;
- proofing and double checking your work.
Not one trick and not a guarantee, but these general suggestions will go a long way.