Genealogists usually never look for original deed records–instead we utilize record copies at the local county courthouse.

If you can’t find marriage and other records of your ancestor, is it possible that “copies” of these records had to be filed elsewhere? Official copies of marriage records often appear widow’s pension applications. Official copies of naturalizations appear in homestead records.

Ask yourself, “would my ancestor have had to prove” a marriage, naturalization, etc.? If so, where might those records be?



No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get the Genealogy Tip of the Day Book
Get the More Genealogy Tip of the Day Book
Recent Comments