The genealogist should always think about what other records could be generated by a process or set of records they have located. A probate case generates its own set of items, but there also may be:
- Newspaper legal notices of the impending probate.
- Newspaper mentions of various court actions to settle the estate.
- Newspaper advertisements for an estate auction.
- Land deeds to settle title to real estate.
- Guardianship records for minor heirs (which may be filed separately from the probate records).
Always ask yourself: what additional records or references could this set of records generate?