estate-divisionsIf you know your ancestor owned real property at their death and you can’t find a probate, check for a partition suit among the heirs.

Those suits should list all the heirs and may clearly delineate the relative portions of the estate they received. Even if the portions they get are not listed, the relative amounts of money they get may help you determine relationships.

In the United States, these would local county court records.

This partition suit from 1924 is being analyzed in an upcoming issue of Casefile Clues. 



No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get the Genealogy Tip of the Day Book