Really getting into these things takes some time, but here are some general things to remember when you are “stuck:”
- Money and work motivate people to move and people are sometimes more mobile than we think-especially if opportunities were limited in the area where the person was living.
- Create a timeline of all events in your ancestor’s life. Gaps of more than a few years are opportunities for research. Lots of things can happen in two or three years.
- Do you really know what you think you know? How do you know it? Did you assume when you should not have?
- Do you know where that source came from?
- Could you be wrong?
- Are you familiar with all sources in the area–civil (all levels of government) and private records?