If your ancestor’s widow survived him, ask yourself the following questions:
- Could she have applied for a widow’s pension based on his military service?
- Could she have applied for a military land warrant based on his military service?
- If her husband owned real property, how was it disposed of after his death?
- Did the wife get a life estate in any of her husband’s property?
- Did the wife get married after her husband died?
- Did the wife move after her husband’s death to live with a child a distance away?