Pick a day in your ancestor’s life. Try and answer the following questions as of that date:
- Where was my ancestor living?
- Who was in his (her) household?
- What was the ancestor’s occupation?
- What was the ancestor’s age?
- What was going on nationally on this date (at this point in time)?
- What was going on locally/regionally?
- Were my ancestor’s parents alive?
- Were my ancestor’s siblings alive?
- Where would he (she) have gone to church the previous Sunday?
- Who were my ancestor’s neighbors?
You get the idea. Focusing one just one day may be enough to cause you to learn about other days in the process.